INTEGRATED URBAN DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY FOR THE RÍO TINTO ESTUARIES – ODIEL 2020
Rías de Huelva 2020
This Project aims to promote the sustainable and integrated urban development of Aljaraque, Gibraleón, Huelva, Palos de la Frontera, Punta Umbría and San Juan del Puerto through a territorial strategic planning that improves, in a lasting and long term way, the urban, social, economic and environmental conditions of all these municipalities.
U-Space is collaborating with the Huelva Provincial Council in the preparation of the Sustainable and Integrated Urban Development Strategy (EDUSI) based on five major challenges: economic, environmental, climatic, demographic and social, in accordance with the principles and strategic orientations to favour sustainable urban development of Spain’s Sustainable Growth Operational Programme (POCS) 2014-2020.
The elaboration of the strategy had a flexible nature that adapted to the territorial reality and to the institutional and governance structure of the Huelva’s County Council. The work developed for the drafting of the strategy was:
- Initial identification of problems
- Integrated analysis including: physical analysis, environmental analysis, energetic analysis, economic analysis, demographic analysis, social analysis, territorial context analysis, competence framework analysis, analysis of existing planning instruments and risk analysis.
- Diagnosis and definition of expected results. A diagnosis of the situation of the urban area is carried out through a SWOT analysis that allows the identification of the urban area’s needs and problems.
- Delimitation of the scope of action.
- Implementation plan of the strategy that contains the description of the lines of action, chronogram and budget of each one of them.
- Definition of productivity and result indicators that allow the monitoring of the strategy as a whole.
- Citizen participation and communication plan.
The DUSI Strategy was selected in a competitive competition process in the 3rd call for the selection of Sustainable and Integrated Urban Development Strategies developed by the Ministry of Finance and Civil Service of the Spanish Government and obtained financing of 18.75 million € financed at 80% by ERDF funds.